Every region in the world has casino games that are more popular than others. In Europe, the most common type of blackjack is European Blackjack. This game is not only popular at land based casinos. Even at online casinos, this game is played by many players. The game is also very popular in South Africa.
European Blackjack Basics
The game plays in almost the very same way as standard blackjack. Most of the rules are that same with only a few exceptions. This is because the game is very closely related to the game that modern blackjack is based on.
- The jackpot in the game is 3:2. This is awarded when players get a blackjack. However when players play the insurance bet the payout then blackjack becomes 1:1.
- The Insurance bet is a bet that is placed against the dealer. This bet is half the size of the Ante bet. A winning insurance bet pays 2:1.
- In this game, 6 decks of cards are used. The large number of decks dictates that the dealers stand on a soft 17.
- There is no hole card in the game. All cards in the game dealt facing up.
- European Blackjack allows players to double down on a hand. Only hands with values that 9, 10 and 11 can have their bet doubled. Players can even double down after splitting.
- Splitting is permitted when the cards have the same value. After splitting the cards the player can double down on the both hands.
- As with all other formats of the game, the player plays against the dealer. Kings, Queens, Jacks and 10s have a value of 10. The Ace can have a value of 1 or 11.
Common versions of European Blackjack
There are primarily two ways to enjoy European Blackjack. These are on a single player table and on a multiplayer table
Single Player European Blackjack
This is a very simple game in which the player is the only person playing against the dealer. However, there is no restriction to the number of boxes played.
Multiplayer European Blackjack
The multiplayer version of the game is significantly faster than the single player form. This results in more thrilling casino gaming.