Since its early days, boxing has been a popular sport to bet on. Boxing betting is quite a lucrative industry. For those new to boxing betting, this guide will give you a quick and easy introduction to how to bet on boxing.
Read on for more on online boxing betting.
Bet on a Fight: Betting Options & Odds Explained
Placing bets on boxing is a small market. Understanding how to make bets on boxing is the first step to having adding some extra thrill to watching boxing.
In boxing betting, there are mainly six types of bets punters will find at South African sportsbooks in the build-up to a fight.
Boxing Betting Options
- Bout Betting: this is another word for betting on the outright winner. Bettors wager on who will win the match or if there will be a draw. Bear in mind that betting on a draw has long odds because draws rarely happen in boxing.
- Fight to go the Distance: this boxing bet is to see is the match up will go the distance aka last all 12 rounds. We would recommend that bettors do their research on each of the boxers to see if they have the stamina to last that long.
- Method of Victory: in boxing betting, this type of bet has the most options to choose from. Basically, punters have to choose how the match will be won – will it be through a straight knockout, technical knockout, or disqualification?
- Over/Under Rounds: here punters will be betting on how long a match will last. For example, if you wager that the match will end over 7 rounds, you would lose if they stopped at 6.5 rounds and win if they battled it out for 7 round and longer.
- Round Betting: placing a round bet is a very precise bet. It’s all about predicting who will win the match and in which round they will win it in. How the boxing odds work in this bet is to go for it if they are low on the favourite.
- Round Group Betting: with this bet type is unlike round betting where bettors have to be precise. You can pick more than one round – like you bet that the match will last between 3 and 5 rounds.
How to Pick a Winner
As with any sport, it’s important to do your research on the players going head-to-head. While it’s impossible to make a sure bet, knowing as much as possible always works in your favour when picking a boxing fight winner. Below we’ve outlined what to look out for when picking a contender in boxing betting.
- Look at how your favourite has performed in past matches at that level. How do they handle being under the spotlight? If they’re confident under pressure then that ticks the right box.
- Secondly, consider what’s been going on in their lives running up to the fight. Things like if they’ve been spotted drunk at a club to coach changes should be considered.
- Finally, if your favourite feeds into the pre-fight media frenzy is important. It’s all about sensationalism, speculation, and some unbalanced analysis. Find a credible source for more information.
Top Boxing Betting Bookmakers Online
There are a lot of South African sportsbooks that have books for boxing betting. To find a comprehensive list, check out our page on top SA sports betting sites.