Cricket betting and the sport itself are very popular in South Africa, with matches being held throughout the year. Cricket is the second most popular sport in the country. It also has a special place in people’s hearts across the world with more than two billion fans tuning in every year.
Cricket betting, especially online, has been growing over the years internationally, and in SA it’s no different. Casino ZA’s guide on cricket betting South Africa has all you need to know on how to bet on a cricket match. We’ll take a look at the basic rules of a cricket match, how you bet on a match, reading odds, the types of bets available, and some great cricket betting tips. Use our guide to give yourself the best chance of winning some real money with cricket betting.
Top Cricket Betting Sites in SA
We’ve checked out all the best cricket betting apps and sites for you to spare you the hassle.
- Betway: get a 125% welcome bonus on up to R1 000.
- Sporting Bet: join now for a R2 000 deposit bonus.
- Playabets: bet R100 and get an additional R150.
- Intertops: get 100% on up to R1 000 by using the bonus code RSA1000.
- Marathon Bet: sign up for some great cricket betting action.
- Hollywoodbet: join this online cricket betting site and get R100 bonus.
How to Bet on Cricket Match
This following section is about what goes into placing a cricket bet. We’ll cover cricket betting odds and the different cricket betting types.
Cricket Betting Odds
Reading and understanding the odds of cricket bookies is an important part cricket betting. They are either in decimal odds or fractional odds. Most of the best online betting sites for cricket allow punters to choose which format they prefer. Let’s take a brief look at these two different bet formats.
Decimal Odds: in this format, odds are displayed as decimals – 5.00, 3.00. To calculate how much you’ve won, multiply your bet amount by the decimal odds. If your bet amount was R100 at odds of 3.00, you win R300.
Fractional Odds: the odds are shown in fraction form – 2/1,9/4. The first number is the amount you’ll win if you bet the second number. Calculating your winnings requires you to multiply your wager by the first number and then add the second number to it. So, for example, if you bet R100 at 2/1 odds, you will win R201: (100×2) + 1.
What are the Types of Bet You Can Place?
Below are the most popular types of bets you can place on a cricket match.
- To win the match: this bet is on which team will win the match.
- Man of the match: you’ll be betting on who will be the man of the match after the game.
- Top Batsman: this type of bet is about guessing who will score the most runs.
- Top Bowler: you’re betting on who will take the most wickets.
- Leading wicket taker: a bet type that’s similar to the most run scorer.
- Next batsman out: you’ll be betting on who’s going to be the next batsman out.
- To win the toss: this bets on who you think will bat first.
- Most sixes: this bet type is about which batsman will hit the most sixes in the match.
- To win the series: here you’re betting on who you think will win the series.
Cricket Betting Tips and Strategy
Here are some sure-fire tips and strategies for placing the best possible cricket bet.
- Know the Game: take your time to understand the game, its rules, the teams’ form, league type,and any upcoming matches. Being knowledgeable helps you make better bets.
- Understand the Odds: know how to read the odds of a game. This will help you pick the best odds.
- Choose the Most Profitable Odds: bet on the team with the highest paying outcomes based off your sportsbook’s odds.
- Make sure your sportsbook is reputable: sign up with a regulated and licensed online betting site. Consider using the ones we’ve listed above to make sure you’re playing safely.
- Follow the News: stay on top of the latest cricket news. This goes back to knowing the game.
- Check the Weather: since cricket is an all-season sport, the weather can affect players who aren’t used to the climate. Furthermore, this is what gives the home team an advantage.
- Study the Stats: know the numbers when it comes to the strength and weaknesses of each team. Some play better in different game formats like ODI vs T20.
- Know the Pitch Conditions: This also affects the game play. A dry pitch favours the batting team while humid conditions help the bowler.
- Look at the Innings Score: The scores in the first inning are very important. They can help you predict the rest of the game.
- Get Familiar with In-Play: Use it wherever possible. Lots of money can be made with In-Play betting because of a match’s length and batting season.
SA Cricket Annual Events and Tournaments
South Africa is not only a cricket crazy country, but we’re also one of the world’s leading cricket playing countries. Additionally, SA is one of the 12 countries approved to play test cricket by the International Cricket Council.
Below is a list of annual local cricket tournaments:
- Sunfoil Series (formerly known as the Currie Cup)
- MTN Domestic Championship
- Standard Bank Pro 20 Series
- CSA Provincial Competitions
- Africa T20 Cup
- Momentum One Day Cup
- Ram Slam T20 Challenge
Popular Cricket Leagues
Below is a list of popular cricket leagues from South Africa and around the world:
- Australian Big Bash League
- Bangladesh Premier League
- Caribbean Premier League
- England NatWest T20 Blast
- Global T20 League
- Indian Premier League
- Pakistan Super League
- South African Ram Slam T20 League
For more on sports betting, check out the following pages: